I set up a googlegroup
to encourage a dialogue with other freelance arts practitioners about the impact of recent funding cuts in the arts on our practice.
It's not just ACE cuts that affect us, but also those at local government level; the increased pressure on other funding bodies; on commissioning agencies and our client-base.
- Many of us will have worked as freelancers for some time, others will be joining the mele following loss of employment in the public sector.
- Times are challenging and competition for work increasingly tricky.
- Can we support each other, or are we destined to work in isolated, not-so-ivory towers?
- Might forming an 'association' be helpful, to promote excellence in freelance provision?
- How can we ensure that our strengths are recognised and even more valid now that there is a consequential shift from insititutional heaviness to fleet-footedness?
It's a conversation that could take place on this site - I'd be very interested to hear other responses from people.